Bordered by one of the emblematic beaches of Charente-Maritime, the camping des Sables Vignier awaits you for a memorable vacation in the shade of oaks and pines. Well installed and enjoying the services of a 3* campsite, you will have plenty of time to enjoy the charm of the citadel of Château-d'Oléron.
The citadel and the ramparts of Château-d'Oléron bear witness to a rich past. Illustrious names mark out its history from Richelieu who had it built in 1630 to its restoration after a terrible bombing during the Second World War in 1945. Vauban fortified it then Colbert integrated it into the royal arsenal of Rochefort. It was also used as a prison under the Terror and then during the war of 1870. It is well worth a guided tour. But the commune is also strong of a port, maritime and artisanal tradition which deserves a detour.
The coastal path is favourable to the discovery of the "Memory Path" dedicated to the Oleronese resistance during the last war and a signposted circuit in the marshes will plunge you into the oyster farming world.
On the beach side, you can enjoy lazing around, swimming and various water sports, especially rowing. You can also take a guided canoe or electric boat ride in the heart of the marsh.
On the port, on the edge of the channel or in the medieval channels, on a shaded terrace or with your feet in the water, like a bistro, a guinguette, a gastronomic restaurant or an oyster bar, you can easily enjoy local products in Château-d'Oléron.
Top 5 things to do in Château-d'Oléron
- Visit of the citadel with the little train. This half-hour tour, tinged with anecdotes, leads you from the ramparts to the oyster port.
- Bread oven of the Maison du Prévôt. Remembrance of a faraway time when the oven had to heat 3 days before bread could be baked in it.
- Nature House of Oleron Island. A set of indoor and outdoor spaces dedicated to the biodiversity and preservation of the Oleron coast. It offers exhibitions, outings, fun tours such as a treasure hunt to be done with the family and educational workshops for children.
- Craft cabins. Installed in antique oyster huts, painters, jewelers, weavers, mosaic artists, sculptors or working with light share their know-how with the liking of the visits.
- Boat trips. One hour guided walk in the oyster beds of the Marennes-Oléron basin, starting from the port of Château-d'Oléron.