5 small kilometers separate the camping Les Sables Vignier Beach of Saint-Pierre-d'Oléron, capital of the island.
Bordering one of the most beautiful beaches around, the 3* campsite with swimming pool, water games, equipment, bar, restaurant and quality animations offers you beautiful pitches in the shade of oaks and maritime pines.
Terroir and heritage of Saint-Pierre-d'Oléron
The salt marshes, the fishing port of La Cotinière and its fish market make Saint-Pierre-d'Oléron an emblematic site of the Charentes. The wild landscapes of the coast contrast with the vineyards that surround the city on all sides. One cannot visit Saint-Pierre without taking an interest in the wine estates whose Vins de Pays Charentais and the famous Pineau make the fame. Among the quality houses that welcome you with open arms, the Favre vineyard practices organic farming and the Vincent vineyard adds to its local wines and Pineaux delicious liqueurs and grape juice from sustainable agriculture.
Saint-Pierre invites to greediness; it is good to join the tasting cabins in the oyster village and the restaurants serving the products coming out of the auction. You can also enjoy vegetarian, Caribbean, Japanese and home-made delicatessen in a bistro in the center.
Top 5 activities in Saint-Pierre-d'Oléron
- The Musée de l'Île d'Oléron Museum comments and stages the history of the places and the inhabitants in a playful and pedagogical way.
- The Bird Swamp leads you on paths in the heart of the salt marshes where multiple species evolve in complete freedom. A refreshing immersion in a natural space where injured or sick birds are cared for.
- The Jardins de la Boirie recall the extraordinary garden of Charles Trenet. One walks with delight in the middle of this small garden rather exotic while taking advantage of the wise comments of a passionate horticulturist.
- The oyster site of Fort Royer is home to a fishing village where oysters are tasted with the producers in their brightly colored huts.
- Visit Saint-Pierre-d'Oléron and the surrounding area by rental bike. Nose to the wind, we ride quietly from ports to villages on beautiful bike paths ... and (almost) without hills to climb.
Discover the Cotinière in Saint-Pierre-d'Oléron
At La Cotinière, you can feel the lively, colorful and sonorous atmosphere of a fishing port on a human scale, dynamic and friendly. Nearly a hundred species of fish and shellfish caught in the bay in front of the lighthouse come to feed the fish market where strolling around opens up your appetite and gives you a smile. The places are famous for the diversity and the unquestionable freshness of the scampi, sole, sea bass and other products of the sea found there.
The colors and perfumes of the market of Victorine attract you every morning on the port. In the afternoon, after the beach, we walk along the alleys of the small houses, adorned with blue and green shutters, we visit some stores or we sit in the sun on the terrace. In the evening, you have to choose between the stalls set up on the quays, the concerts and various animations and fireworks proposed during all the summer period. At La Cotinière, the atmosphere is festive.